How to Eliminate Scorpions
Scorpions!! No bug strikes more fear in people then scorpions and with good reason. Arizona is home to the deadliest scorpion of North America, the bark scorpion. Most of this blog will focus more on the bark scorpion than any of the other scorpions in Phoenix because this is most common. From Anthem to Arcadia, Paradise Valley to Peoria, Scottsdale to Surprise and everywhere in between scorpions cover the whole Valley. This blog will cover myths, facts and how to get them under control.
Myths about bark scorpions:
- They crawl up drains in the house
- They are insects
- Scorpions bite not sting (I hear this often where people say I was bit by a scorpion)
- The larger the scorpions are deadlier they are
- They always leave a mark when they sting
Facts about Scorpions:
- They enter the house through entry points from the outside. Usually drains are not wide open from the outside of the house. Scorpions can swim under water for a little while.
- Scorpions are arachnids (they are classified in this category because they have 8 legs)
- Scorpions glow when hit with a black light
- Scorpions love living in the block wall. They can make their home in many other places but the block wall is a top favorite
- They give birth to live babies and the babies live on their back for up to 2 years or so.
- Baby scorpions, in our opinion, are deadlier and here’s why. They cannot control their venom. Just like a toddler cannot control their strength when they take a drink and spill. Baby scorpions can do the same thing with their venom.
- Scorpions can enter the house through the thickness of a credit card (about1/16” of an inch). If you seal up the entry points you have less issues inside because they can’t get access to your home.
Under Control- I often hear how can I eliminate scorpions? Here at Family First Pest Control we believe in the truth and not false advertising. You will NEVER be 100% scorpion free. But you can get them under control with our help and your help.
- Clean up debris from yard. Remove shoes and other places for scorpions to hide. Keep bushes away from the house. Make sure your trees are cut away and not touching the house.
- Any water close to your house push further away from your house.
- The more thorough and detailed you are better the results will be
- Don’t treat just the house. Focus on the yard. We treat the block wall on every service.
- Diatomaceous Earth is amazing! We use it on every service. Not only on the block wall but also different parts of the yard and house. The key is our duster that applies just the right amount to kill the scorpions.